Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pickleball in the Extreme Heat

Pickleball play is still going on, even with the heat and humidity.  Normally we are soaked with sweat when we leave the court.  The Chesapeake crowd is one of the nicest we've encountered so far.  It cracks me up because they call us "transients".
One of my favorite people is here now-Buddy!  When Dee heard Buddy was coming last night, she said "I love Buddy" and we laughed because everyone says that about him.  Here's Buddy playing with Mike.  Love the look of fierce concentration on Mike's face.
Dee playing with the guys.  Dee can hold her own and then some with the guys.  I think Dee and Sally are the only ladies that still intimidate me when I play against them.  They keep me inspired to keep working at the game to get better at it!
Here are some of non-transients here with Dee.  Scott, Dee, Gilbert and Joanne.  Scott's a sweetheart, Gilbert is a hoot and Joanne is really cool.  I haven't had a chance to talk to Joanne a whole lot, but she strikes me as one of those people that I would find fascinating if I did.
More non-transients: Tommy who wears me out by lobbing the ball over my head every five seconds, Mike the Chesapeake pickleball King, Mel the other sweetheart and Rick who is the Rich of Chesapeake.  The Florida crowd will know what I mean by that.  I haven't had the chance to play with or against Rick, but I've watched him play and it's a beautiful thing to watch.
Wiggie, who gets his own picture because he wouldn't join the others:
And Rich who gets his own picture simply because he is Rich.  Notice he has his mouth open.  That's all I'm going to say.
There is a serious lack of females on the court here.  It's a strange thing to me, because I'm used to the "transients" being out there as couples for the most part.  I'm grateful for the few that do play here, and I miss having more of us on the court.  Of course, as hot as it is, I'm impressed any of us are out here.

Living the life in too hot Virginia! 

0 comments: