Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day Two~Coco Cay

I am not a morning person.  Nathan is a morning person.  When we vacation we tend to live on Nathan's schedule which makes him very happy and me somewhat cranky at times.  This morning however, I am the one that begged to get up extra early.  I am the one that set the alarm for 6 am.  Because I am the one that did the research and read if you take the first tender over to Coco Cay you will not only not have to wait for the tender, you will have the island to yourself for a bit.  It turns out that the recommendations were spot on!

Coco Cay is Royal Caribbean's private island.  It was much bigger than we thought it would be.
 
 There is no dock there so the ship is anchored and then you ride small boats over to the island.
When you first get onto the island it is a bit commercial looking.  Shops and restaurants and places to pay money to do day activities.  We were there so early that none of these were open to begin with.
There are tons of beach chairs and many hammocks to hang out in.
I figured out which hammock would be under shade for most of the day and grabbed it right away.  I was thrilled that I got to spend most of my day there, reading books and drinking fruity drinks.  I didn't even have to get out of the hammock to eat lunch.  It was my idea of a great day!  I even had a buddy that kept me company most of the day.
  Nathan joined me after he did some snorkeling and we snuggled together while swinging in the hammock.  We decided we need a hammock right away.  Hammocks are wonderful.
 Beyond that, we walked around the island and enjoyed the very warm water and soaked up the beauty of all that was there.  The water was just incredible.  So clear and such a pretty color.
 
As you can see, we had this section of the island to ourselves for the most part.  This part of the island was Barefoot Beach and for some reason, most people just didn't walk that far to know it was there.  Which was fine with us!  The time on Coco Cay alone made the cruise worth every penny.
 
We spent the whole day here, taking the second to last tender back to the ship.  That night we had more night time fun and more great food.  We headed to bed fairly early so we would be ready for Nassau the next day.  We had a wonderful day today too.  We slept well with lots of dreams about island living.
 



1 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm enjoying your cruise posts! and I'd like to go to Nassau....I hate it when people say things like 'oooh I didn't like that place, it was dirty...." (They are obviously people who shouldn't travel -- they should spend their vacations in a luxury hotel around the corner from their home. ) But you guys are travelers! And your trip sounds wonderful! thanks for sharing it.