Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ray Bethell~Good Stuff in Person

We loved each part of the kite festival that we saw and yet, it's hard to compare any other part to this:
Cool huh? That's what I thought to begin with. I'm standing there, from a distance, and can see three kites moving together. Cool. The guy next to me asks if I've been down to the sand yet and when I say no he goes on to tell me a bit about who is flying the kites. He is one of two people in the world that flies three kites at the same time. He tells me to go up close and watch the guy fly-that it is something I'll never forget. Since I always love it when the locals clue us in to the good stuff, I listen to him. And when we get up close I see this:Not quite what I expected. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this. So we watch him for a bit, and within minutes I realize this is going to stick with me for a lifetime.I realize that this, like great music, art, books or movies will bury itself deep down inside of me and change me. At the risk of sounding like a lunatic to those who have not experienced this in person, it moved me to tears. It was that beautiful, poetic and stunning.I look over to my right and see a grown man grinning like a fool in love and he gushes to me, "It is really something, isn't it?" I nod because I can't find words due to the huge lump in my throat. "He's an artist!", he adds. I nod again.
If you have a chance to see this in person, do it. It is so beyond cool, I have no words to fully describe it. Really. If this was the only thing we saw after driving cross country, it would have been worth every mile. It was an honor to be a part of his audience.

Find out more about this incredible man here: Ray Bethell Good Stuff


Living the life in Oregon!