Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mingei International Museum

Mingei International Museum is another museum in Balboa Park and we visited there today. This is Southern California's largest and richest collection of mingei-art of the people. It was bright and colorful and very interesting.There were so many different things, from different countries that it gave us a broad view of folk art.
My personal favorite was A Palace for Wednesday. A Palace for Wednesday is the fabulous work of art above that is about four feet tall. It is a fantasy village for Wednesday and 60 of her friends. All of the creatures are made of fabric which is incredible when you see the detail involved. A few more close up shots of this:
When I spotted this, I instantly thought of Jaci who is someone I met on an online homeschool group (and just became grandma to a second cutie pie), because she does cool things with faeries also. I would love to dabble in something like this someday just to see what I could do. In the meantime, I'll just admire the art of those who are doing it.

1 comments:

unschoolermom said...

That is awesome! I love it!

Kandy