Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Williamsburg From My Window

I was sharing with my friend Laurie that I have only used my camera one day this month.  I knew she would get the symbolism there.  I've not went more than three days without having my camera out since we hit the road.

To put it bluntly, I've been in a serious funk.  No one thing led to this funk.  Rather it was a combination of things: regretting our decision to stay here so many weeks instead of traveling, facing some realities about some of the relationships in my life,  facing some stuff about myself and my role in those relationships, grieving the imagined loss of some things if we stay put in one place and dealing with bored men.  Oh, and the dog smells really bad and needs a bath but she hates baths so we haven't tackled it yet.  Since I'm hyper-sensitive to icky smells, that alone would be enough to put me in a funk.
So I knew I had to make myself take my camera with us when we went out today.  I'm so glad I did.  It was exactly what the doctor ordered.
There is hardly a town that could soothe my soul more than this one.  It's just lovely in that All American sort of way.  There are the parts that are more widely known about Williamsburg parts.  Like this section that is blocked off so no cars can drive there.  It makes it so nice to walk around.
There are also the not so widely known things, that are still really neat to look at.
As much as I enjoy seeing where people play, this time I focused on where people live.  Because as much as I have no desire to live in a house myself , I am still touched by the human element of people and their houses.  I find myself thinking, this is where someone lives.  This is where they share their lives together.  This is where a family is being made.  This is where people let down their masks and honest and raw exchanges take place.  It's where love and hate and all of the other range of emotions are displayed.  It's where wounds are made and wounds are healed.  It's pretty powerful stuff if you think about it.
It did me good to ponder such things today.  I feel lighter for it.  I'll share more tomorrow.

Living the life in Virginia!

1 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thanks for sharing!

The camera helps me see the beauty in everydayness too. (I think I made up a new word there, but I think you'll know what I mean.)

Thanks too for the Punta Gorda restaurant tip.